X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amla question

ok maybe i did this wrong, but i used amla not too long ago (the powder form), followed the directions on the box, then rinsed. when i went to get my hair braided the next day, it was so gritty like i never rinsed it at all! ive henna'd several times and never had this problem, so i figured i had rinsed pretty well....the directions on the box i think just said to mix with water into a paste, and apply to the hair (its been about 2 months i could be wrong).
    anyway did i do something wrong? should i switch to amla oil instead of powder??
    my goal is to get my curls to pop and ive read a few places that ladies had success with amla.... help!

Nope. The consistency should be the same as your henna paste. I have to admit I've never added any of the powder be it bentonite rhassoul henna or my amla brahmi maka pastes with JUST water. I've read they can make hair brittle cuz try they tend to be drying. I've always always added honey and oil 1 to 2 tbsp of each. The rinsing process is easier than henna so you should not have had a problem with grit. I can say that I have left some grit in my hair but not a lot. it's impossible to remove every single grain out of your hair. It def makes curls pop and I'd rather not have all that definition. Try it again. You can also add a lil condish so the rinsing process is easier. I used to add condish in the beginning with lots of oils & honey but now I try to add as lil of that stuff as possible.

Comment

Sounds like you did everything right! Rinsing out these powders can be a real issue, but I have noticed my curls are more defined after an amla treatment. I too have switched to amla oil (homemade) because it's easier to include in my regimen. I'd love to have time to do an amla mask occasionally though... Good stuff.
      3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || PG Sensitive - Itchy scalp? This might be why!

I <3 BAQ henna. Styling HGs AO MMJ; OH Hair Dew; SM Curl Milk.
      Moisture AO HR, SM Purification Masque.
      Cleansing Conditioner L'Oreal Evercrème. Pre-Poo
      extra-virgin coconut oil w/ amla. Protein AO GPB.
      Waiting to try
      SM Yucca Baobab; OH Pomade, Juices; CJ Repair Me; silk pillowcase/bonnet.

Comment

thank you ladies!!! maybe i will give it another shot and add honey and conditioner like i do with the henna....since i still have some left i may as well

Comment

Use a slippery confuse to rinse out the amla. I do this for henna & amla and never had grit issues. YTCu is my go to since the YTT is MIA.

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world~Helen Keller~ -Sent from my iPod touch using CurlyNikki-
          People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway. -Mother Teresa-

Comment

Originally posted by poemaXX View Post
            Sounds like you did everything right! Rinsing out these powders can be a real issue, but I have noticed my curls are more defined after an amla treatment. I too have switched to amla oil (homemade) because it's easier to include in my regimen. I'd love to have time to do an amla mask occasionally though... Good stuff.
            Poem, how do you make your homemade amla oil? I have tons of amla powder and prefer making my own amla oil.
            Peace, Light & Love
            Hair Staples: Rhassoul clay (cleanse), Oil Rinsing, Marshmallow Moisture Balm, FSG or AVG

Comment

I had this same problem with amla/herbal pastes. Now I use a RO with a lot of slip to loosen it and rinse out.

thpnaturalbody.etsy.com
              Natural mixtress at your service

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
                I had this same problem with amla/herbal pastes. Now I use a RO with a lot of slip to loosen it and rinse out.

thpnaturalbody.etsy.com

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlyNikki App

SORRY, what's RO?

Comment

Rinse out or aka detangling conditioner (DT). RO verses deep condition

thpnaturalbody.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                  X