Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Possible to Grow Long Fine Hair?

I have fine shoulder length kinky hair and I've been natural for about 3 years. My hair is also dense which makes detangling a time consuming process. I just started wearing protective styles (mini twists) to retain length but is it really possible to grow fine kinky hair past SL? Most of the naturals with bra & waist length hair do not have fine hair but I could be wrong.

I just want to know if you are a fine kinky natural with long hair, what are some of the products and things you've done to retain length. Please Post pics if possible. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki
    Live for Today!

Ive seen a lot of naturals with long fine hair on YouTube. I also have fine hair and I would love for it to be bra strap length one day.

Check me out http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...nest-hair.html

Comment

I have fine natural hair... I had a hard time getting my hair past shoulder length but had to find a technique routine that would help. So I started wearing more protective styles and my staple style is probably just medium tow strand twists. I usually keep my hair up in a pony til with my twists bc i didn't want the ends to get damaged and secondly because my hair is so fine it looks too spacy if I wear them down. I recently trimmed my hair to above BSL so by the end of this ear i should be past it. You just ha ve to care for those ends.

I only really use 3 products KCKT, Castor Oil & Shea butter. Thats about it for my hair.
      Naturally me

No makeup - No relaxer - Just as I am!
      http://www.naturalandprofessional.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have some thin sections and they grow more when I don't use heat or a ponytail

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by randi 415 View Post
          Ive seen a lot of naturals with long fine hair on YouTube. I also have fine hair and I would love for it to be bra strap length one day.

Really??? I'll check again. Thx

Live for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by BeenNatural View Post
            I have fine natural hair... I had a hard time getting my hair past shoulder length but had to find a technique routine that would help. So I started wearing more protective styles and my staple style is probably just medium tow strand twists. I usually keep my hair up in a pony til with my twists bc i didn't want the ends to get damaged and secondly because my hair is so fine it looks too spacy if I wear them down. I recently trimmed my hair to above BSL so by the end of this ear i should be past it. You just ha ve to care for those ends.

I only really use 3 products KCKT, Castor Oil & Shea butter. Thats about it for my hair.
            I also only use a few products because anything more will weigh my hair down. Was it hard for you getting past SL because of breakage while detangling or something else? Do you have any pics? Thanks for the info.

Live for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by johari View Post
              I have some thin sections and they grow more when I don't use heat or a ponytail

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlyNikki App
              I understand not using heat but a "ponytail"? I'm a ponytail addict which might explain the pattern of my growth and breakage.

Live for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by rianacoco View Post
                Really??? I'll check again. Thx

Cipriana from urban bush babes has fine waist length hair.

Check me out http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...nest-hair.html

Comment

Originally posted by randi 415 View Post
                  Cipriana from urban bush babes has fine waist length hair.

Randi, thank you so much, I'll check her out now. 

Live for Today!

Comment

My hair is quite kinky in some areas and so to get past shoulder length i tried stick with a regimen that i knew would benefit me. On my wash days i only detangled my hair 1x and that was with water and conditioner - before i washed. I co wash, DC and twist without hardly putting a comb back into my hair. It helped prevent breakage that could be caused by combing it over and over.

*this first one you can see when i twist in medium twists how my scalp shows very, very easily. And this is on WET hair... imagine that!

* here are my smaller twists... and my scalp again

So in order to get my hair past my shoulder i would bun the ends up in twists because it makes it easier on my extremely fragile / thin sides...

*which developed my staple style
                    Naturally me

Comment

Originally posted by rianacoco View Post
                      Randi, thank you so much, I'll check her out now. 

I am so unaccustomed to seeing "Randi" but not in reference to me. Ha

Comment

BeenNatural,

Your hair is beautiful and I'm loving your twists especially the bun. Thanks for the tips.

Live for Today!

Comment

No problem. What is your staple style, detangling and weekly routine?
                          Naturally me

Comment

I was able to grow my hair out to my waist 3x and it's fine. Just moisturize daily and manipulate minimally.

Comment

how do you know if you hair is fine or not ??
                              BC date: 11/03/11...length goal: BSL by 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X