Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming freshman with natural hair?!?!?!

My name is Ebony and I'm 14 years old and I'm about to be a freshman. I'm really afraid of what people will think about my hair and how people will react. I've seen a lot of girl at the school I'm going to with natural hair but they have 3a/3b hair that's really long.It's especially worse because I live in the south and the mentality here is the lighter the brighter the better and the longer straighter the hair the more beautiful. I just wanted to know some tips to stay confident in high school about my natural hair and how to stay on my natural hair journey instead of turning to the creamy crack again! LOL

P.s my hair is 4b/4c

Originally posted by Akinyi View Post
    My name is Ebony and I'm 14 years old and I'm about to be a freshman. I'm really afraid of what people will think about my hair and how people will react. I've seen a lot of girl at the school I'm going to with natural hair but they have 3a/3b hair that's really long.It's especially worse because I live in the south and the mentality here is the lighter the brighter the better and the longer straighter the hair the more beautiful. I just wanted to know some tips to stay confident in high school about my natural hair and how to stay on my natural hair journey instead of turning to the creamy crack again! LOL

P.s my hair is 4b/4c
    I started wearing my natural hair out in 11th grade and people LOVED my hair. I have kinky 4a hair, and people thought it was epic. There may have been one or two kids who said something rude, but, honestly, so many people complimented my hair all the time, that I don't even remember.

I was a little nervous at first, too, because I thought people would say rude things. But then I realized that it doesn't matter if someone has something dumb to say or doesn't like my hair. This is the hair that God has deemed fit to grow out of my head, and that's good enough for me.

All the best on your journey!
    Last edited by Rimi; 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM.
    19 y/o lifelong natural {4a/O-shaped coils;spongy;porous;coarse;normal-dense;MBL!}

{products i love and use}
    Cleanse: Jason's Dandruff Shampoo
    Moisturize: LOCO with AVJ, oil mix and AOHSR; homemade cocoa butter cream
    Deep Condition: AOHSR + castor oil mix, Cassia/Amla/Aloe Vera Powder mix (happy scalp + strong/soft strands)
    Protein Treatment: Neutral Protein Filler
    Seal: Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil, JBCO
    Scalp issues: Probiotics

read my blog!
    follow me on twittah!

Comment

Originally posted by Rimi View Post
      I started wearing my natural hair out in 11th grade and people LOVED my hair. I have kinky 4a hair, and people thought it was epic. There may have been one or two kids who said something rude, but, honestly, so many people complimented my hair all the time, that I don't even remember.

I was a little nervous at first, too, because I thought people would say rude things. But then I realized that it doesn't matter if someone has something dumb to say or doesn't like my hair. This is the hair that God has deemed fit to grow out of my head, and that's good enough for me.

All the best on your journey!
      Thank you for saying that, you definitely made me a lot less nervous

Comment

Originally posted by Akinyi View Post

P.s my hair is 4b/4c
        Hi!
        I'm 14 and a freshman, too. Maybe I can help a little. I also live in the south...it isn't super south, but it is in the south. There is one girl at my school who is transitioning, but she has really long hair that looks to be 3b/3c (though you can't tell until you cut off all your relaxed hair). I have extremely tightly curled 3c/4a curls and coils. Over the summer I decided to stop flat ironing & abusing my hair, and started wearing it curly & started learning how to care for it. It was, and still is, a very emotional, hard, and eye opening journey. I have not really gotten any directly mean hair comments. There have been some ignorant ones, though. People either like my hair or seem not to care about it.

It is hard when I see that people would rather look at a girl with 3b hair, rather than my tight curls. I honestly can't give you a magical way to not be hurt when someone says your hair isn't as pretty as a "mixed girl", or to make yourself wish your curls or weren't looser and skin wasn't lighter --- because there isn't a magical, easy way.

The only way to make the negative energy go away is to replace it with good energy (which is a process, not a quick fix): Avoid people who make you feel bad you/your hair, avoid conversation topics that make you feel bad about you/hair, remove all reminders of negative feelings about your/your hair, find open minded friends who don't judge your appearance, find friend who like your hair, learn how to create cute styles in your hair that make you feel good about your hair.

Hope I helped

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App
        Learning to love my 3c/4a hair for what it is each and every day. I'm in a 2 year waist length challenge, currently collarbone length. Never relaxed, but used excessive heat in the past.

Comment

[QUOTE=IndieCoils;695906]Hi!
          I'm 14 and a freshman, too. Maybe I can help a little. I also live in the south...it isn't super south, but it is in the south. There is one girl at my school who is transitioning, but she has really long hair that looks to be 3b/3c (though you can't tell until you cut off all your relaxed hair). I have extremely tightly curled 3c/4a curls and coils. Over the summer I decided to stop flat ironing & abusing my hair, and started wearing it curly & started learning how to care for it. It was, and still is, a very emotional, hard, and eye opening journey. I have not really gotten any directly mean hair comments. There have been some ignorant ones, though. People either like my hair or seem not to care about it.

It is hard when I see that people would rather look at a girl with 3b hair, rather than my tight curls. I honestly can't give you a magical way to not be hurt when someone says your hair isn't as pretty as a "mixed girl", or to make yourself wish your curls or weren't looser and skin wasn't lighter --- because there isn't a magical, easy way.

The only way to make the negative energy go away is to replace it with good energy (which is a process, not a quick fix): Avoid people who make you feel bad you/your hair, avoid conversation topics that make you feel bad about you/hair, remove all reminders of negative feelings about your/your hair, find open minded friends who don't judge your appearance, find friend who like your hair, learn how to create cute styles in your hair that make you feel good about your hair.

Hope I helped

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App[QUOTE]

Thanks for the honesty and your insight has made me think a different way about my self! Thank you very much

Comment

My blog miyaelizabeth.wordpress.com I'm 18

Comment

I went natural during my 9th grade year & a few people questioned why I went natural but I mostly got good feedback from my classmates. I've been natural ever since & it's my 12th grade year & my classmates still like my hair. Hope this helps 😄

Comment

I live in Kentucky I guess you would say it's the south and I started going natural this year which is my junior year I get a lot of different reactions about my hair lots are good . alot of people like me with my curly hair instead of straight hair except for one girl that's been bullying me since elementary school but I ignore her because I know that IM doing my hair and myself a favor. So you should go to school as a freshmen with natural hair you'll stand out so much and People will respect you more because you decided to go natural because that's a hard thing to do.

Sent from my Prism using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Wear you hair how you like it. At the end of the day nobody else's opinion matters but yours. If you like your hair natural wear it natural. Don't wear what other people like wear what you like.😀

Comment

im 15 in freshman too gurl as long as u have condience and look cute. ull be fine who cares what those haters think. they just mad bc they dont have the courage to be brave like u
                    follow me on twitter or instagram at keggyo
                    Sent from my SGH-T679M using CurlyNikki App
                    Attached Files

Comment

Oh my gosh, we have SO much to talk about!! Lol anyway so I turn 14 next week, and I've been transitioning since August 13. I have about 3 1/2 inches of new growth, and to me it looks like 3c maybe a few 4a curls. I am in the REAL REDNECK SOUTH. TEXAS. Lawd people here are so ignorant......smh. But anyway, I usually keep my new growth flat ironed, but I also wear it curly and just use a thick headband to cover it up. Only my close friends know that I'm transitioning, and theyre all for me becoming my "true self." all I can tell you is as long as YOU love your hair, and surround yourself with people who either don't care what your hair looks like, or they love it, everything should be fine. I've learned to love MYSELF, and appreciate everyone's different but beautiful hair. And besides, haters will yell your mistakes, but whisper your success, so most of the time, the people that actually have the nerve to say something about your hair, secretly love it 😝

Comment

Originally posted by naturallyborncurly View Post
                        im 15 in freshman too gurl as long as u have condience and look cute. ull be fine who cares what those haters think. they just mad bc they dont have the courage to be brave like u
                        follow me on twitter or instagram at keggyo
                        Sent from my SGH-T679M using CurlyNikki App
                        lol thanks for the advice and will do my insta is akinyiz

Comment

Originally posted by Tiaj2889 View Post
                          Oh my gosh, we have SO much to talk about!! Lol anyway so I turn 14 next week, and I've been transitioning since August 13. I have about 3 1/2 inches of new growth, and to me it looks like 3c maybe a few 4a curls. I am in the REAL REDNECK SOUTH. TEXAS. Lawd people here are so ignorant......smh. But anyway, I usually keep my new growth flat ironed, but I also wear it curly and just use a thick headband to cover it up. Only my close friends know that I'm transitioning, and theyre all for me becoming my "true self." all I can tell you is as long as YOU love your hair, and surround yourself with people who either don't care what your hair looks like, or they love it, everything should be fine. I've learned to love MYSELF, and appreciate everyone's different but beautiful hair. And besides, haters will yell your mistakes, but whisper your success, so most of the time, the people that actually have the nerve to say something about your hair, secretly love it 😝
                          LMAO you are too funny!!! LOL you made my day and I really appreciate the advice about haters when are you planning to big chop?

Comment

I am 17 in the 11th grade and will be 3 months natural on the 26th. I love my hair. I get questions about my hair because of course people are curious. Some people have rude things to say but ik my hair will be way longer then theirs when they look around and most importantly more Healthy! Love yourself hun and dont get discouraged!!

Sent from my SGH-T499 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Originally posted by Naptural95 View Post
                              I am 17 in the 11th grade and will be 3 months natural on the 26th. I love my hair. I get questions about my hair because of course people are curious. Some people have rude things to say but ik my hair will be way longer then theirs when they look around and most importantly more Healthy! Love yourself hun and dont get discouraged!!

Sent from my SGH-T499 using CurlyNikki App
                              Thank you its nice to sometimes know other people support you

Comment

Working...
                              X