Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycerin and Winter

Hey ALL,

This is a two part question:

I looked at the site for the answer but did not find i, sorry if I missed it.
    I realized that a lot of my styling products have glycerin (yikes). What is the issue with this ingredient and winter? What would it do to my hair?

Also, any recs on a non-glycerin styler that I could get in the ground? Hoping to get something inexpensive for just these very cold months in NYC.

Thanks in advance

I believe glycerin is a humectant. It takes moisture out of the air and absorbs it into your hair.
    I was told it's not smart to use during the winter, or drier months, because it can draw moisture out of your hair also.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using CurlyNikki App
    Type 4, Coarse, Low Porosity.
    75% shrinkage. APL stretched.
    Natural since 3.7.11.

Comment

I read the same thing. But my glycerin products have been working fine for me, even in low dew points. I usually do a trial run when I read something and it usually does not apply to me lol. My hair and I are weird.

I say use your glycerin products and if you don't notice a difference in your hair, then keep using them (meaning if your hair is moisturized and does not feel dry). Listen to your hair. It might not be an issue for your hair.

Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter is glycerin free and can be found at Sally's if glycerin is an issue.
      B/C: April 2, 2011 Last relaxer: October 2010 "Be yourself. Because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss Blog: http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...part-deux.html

Comment

I second this. I use glycerin year round without issue. As a matter of fact my hair is thriving! I'm almost mid back length and I'm just under 3 years natural. I've used glycerin year round from the beginning of my journey but I must note that I put some level of water in my hair pretty much daily. It just depends on the head of hair with glycerin reactions. Do your own trial and error before you believe the natural hair do's & don'ts hype.

Originally posted by Braelynn Blue View Post
        I read the same thing. But my glycerin products have been working fine for me, even in low dew points. I usually do a trial run when I read something and it usually does not apply to me lol. My hair and I are weird.

I say use your glycerin products and if you don't notice a difference in your hair, then keep using them (meaning if your hair is moisturized and does not feel dry). Listen to your hair. It might not be an issue for your hair.

Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter is glycerin free and can be found at Sally's if glycerin is an issue.
        Last edited by 1FlySista; 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I use glycerin all year round too. Ive found that it has no negative effects on my hair. I thought it would since my hair is naturally low in porosity.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using CurlyNikki App
          Type 4, Coarse, Low Porosity.
          75% shrinkage. APL stretched.
          Natural since 3.7.11.

Comment

Thank you ladies!

Comment

I can use glycerin year round BUT unless my hair is sealed properly it isnt as moist as it usually can be in the spring/summer.

I go with gels that have glycerin low on the list if I'm going to do a WnG but other than that I only usually it in my conditioners that I rinse out.

My favorite gel in the winter is KCCC if i want to wear my WnG in the winter.
              Instagram - lovinglife0078

Find me blogging

Worry about your character and not your reputation, because your character is who you are and your reputation is just what people think about you.

Comment

some ppl can use glycerin year round if they stay in regions where it doesn't get as cold as it does in NY. I live in Michigan so I just eliminated glycerin all together instead of having separate products

Sent from my LG-MS690 using CurlyNikki App
                My Blog Leopardkissez I'm on Twitter!!! @LeopardKissez

Comment

I use glycerin year around. I live in FL, but visit my sis in NoVA in the winter, spring, and summer. I use it while there as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X