X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone Serums....what do they do?

Hi Curlies. I ask because I've seen people on here who use them in their regimins and wondered what the benefits are. Any feedback would be great. Thx!

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlyNikki App

Silicones are synthetic oils. The serums made by hair product manufacturers are designed to meet the needs of the hair. They can be used in place of oils.

Anti-frizz serums prevent moisture from entering/leaving the hair strands.

Heat protectants prevent heat damage and are activated when heat over a certain temperature is applied to the hair.

Shine serums (my favorite):

add a beautiful sheen to the hair;

when added to your favorite DT, bumps up the moisture by several magnitudes and minimizes knots, frizz, tangles; they can also be used as a prepoo;

when used as a sealer, minimizes knots, frizz, tangles and helps significantly with moisture retention; and

when added to a curl activator, allows curls to clump nicely with minimal tangles and knots and great sheen.

Silicone serums are easily washed out with any sulfate or non-sulfate shampoo.
    Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Thanks HonnyBrown. Wow.... I didn't realize there were different types. I tend to use all natural products, but my hair is ALWAYS tangled, so I am beginning to think I might benefit from silicones. Do you use any types other than the shine serum? Can they be used with oils, or only in place of oils? Can you give me the names of the ones you've used/heard of? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kag View Post
        Thanks HonnyBrown. Wow.... I didn't realize there were different types. I tend to use all natural products, but my hair is ALWAYS tangled, so I am beginning to think I might benefit from silicones. Do you use any types other than the shine serum? Can they be used with oils, or only in place of oils? Can you give me the names of the ones you've used/heard of? Thanks!

I use all natural products and I rarely have tangles. Which natural products are you using? Perhaps there is a product you need to switch to alleviate your problem. There are natural serums. Jane Carter Solution makes two, one for the scalp and one for the hair. Pure Argan Oil(not One n' Only or Moroccan Oil) can make your hair shine and flaxseed gel is an excellent styling aid.

HTH
        Don't be distracted by criticism. Remember-the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you. -Zig Ziglar

Comment

No problem! When I tried the Curly Girl Method, my hair was a bird's nest of tangles. I ran back to silicones so fast, it wasn't even funny.

The shine serum, specifically by Cantu, meets my needs, just fine. I have tried others, but this one is the best for me.

I don't mix it with oils; there's no need. As a matter of fact, I pretty much stopped using oils altogether. The only time I return to oils is when I use Shea Moisture Curly, which is once a month or less, to use it up.

I have tried the following:

Cantu Super Shine and Silk (addresses moisture, frizz, tangles, knots, and shine)

Garnier Fructis Brilliant Shine (addresses shine, frizz, tangles and knots)

Organix Moroccan Oil - (addresses shine, shine, frizz, tangles and knots and moisture); they have so many serums that I want to try!

Twisted Sista Anti Frizz - this did nothing for my hair.

Organic Root Stimulator, IC Fantasia, John Freida, Garnier Fructis, Organix, Redken all make serums.

--> Here <-- is an excellent article on silicones from the CN home page.
          Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by FalconTress View Post
            I use all natural products and I rarely have tangles. Which natural products are you using? Perhaps there is a product you need to switch to alleviate your problem. There are natural serums. Jane Carter Solution makes two, one for the scalp and one for the hair. Pure Argan Oil(not One n' Only or Moroccan Oil) can make your hair shine and flaxseed gel is an excellent styling aid.

HTH
            I shampoo with Keracare cleansing cream, DC with AOHSR mixed with EVCO (sometimes I also add a little honey or glycerine). I cowash a few times per wk with either Yes 2 carrots or giovanni's. To style I used to use ecostyler, but I've been trying out new ones bcuz eco fruits my hair out. Lately, I've been using that new Lets Jam custard and I really like it. I've used argan oil, but didn't really notice any difference. And the flaxseed gel didn't give me enough hold (im 4c). What are the ingredients in the natural serums?

Comment

Originally posted by HonnyBrown View Post
              No problem! When I tried the Curly Girl Method, my hair was a bird's nest of tangles. I ran back to silicones so fast, it wasn't even funny.

The shine serum, specifically by Cantu, meets my needs, just fine. I have tried others, but this one is the best for me.

I don't mix it with oils; there's no need. As a matter of fact, I pretty much stopped using oils altogether. The only time I return to oils is when I use Shea Moisture Curly, which is once a month or less, to use it up.

I have tried the following:

Cantu Super Shine and Silk (addresses moisture, frizz, tangles, knots, and shine)

Garnier Fructis Brilliant Shine (addresses shine, frizz, tangles and knots)

Organix Moroccan Oil - (addresses shine, shine, frizz, tangles and knots and moisture); they have so many serums that I want to try!

Twisted Sista Anti Frizz - this did nothing for my hair.

Organic Root Stimulator, IC Fantasia, John Freida, Garnier Fructis, Organix, Redken all make serums.

--> Here <-- is an excellent article on silicones from the CN home page.
              Lol....i feel you on the CG method. I tried it for a minute and my hair felt weird. Thanks sooooo much for all of your help, and the link too. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by HonnyBrown View Post
                Silicones are synthetic oils. The serums made by hair product manufacturers are designed to meet the needs of the hair. They can be used in place of oils.

Anti-frizz serums prevent moisture from entering/leaving the hair strands.

Heat protectants prevent heat damage and are activated when heat over a certain temperature is applied to the hair.

Shine serums (my favorite):

add a beautiful sheen to the hair;

when added to your favorite DT, bumps up the moisture by several magnitudes and minimizes knots, frizz, tangles; they can also be used as a prepoo;

when used as a sealer, minimizes knots, frizz, tangles and helps significantly with moisture retention; and

when added to a curl activator, allows curls to clump nicely with minimal tangles and knots and great sheen.

Silicone serums are easily washed out with any sulfate or non-sulfate shampoo.

What kind of curl activator do you use? The only way my hair clumps now is if I twist it .

Comment

I use Care Free Curl Gold Curl Activator. I like it because it works as a leave-in, sealer and styler.
                  Wen...nothing else!

Comment

So happy I saw this thread because I'm supposed to be on a no-oil regimen using cones. However, I just felt paralyzed by lack of knowledge so I never started it.

Comment

Ok so this may be a silly question, but when do you apply the Morrocan oil? after you wet the hair? or after the leve in? in other words is it water then Morrocan oil? or water, leave in, then morrocan oil. I have the product I just don't know when to apply it.

Comment

Originally posted by LJjohnson21 View Post
                        Ok so this may be a silly question, but when do you apply the Morrocan oil? after you wet the hair? or after the leve in? in other words is it water then Morrocan oil? or water, leave in, then morrocan oil. I have the product I just don't know when to apply it.
                        That is so not a silly question! I picked up Cantu Super Shine at a swap in November and had no clue how to use it.

Because silicones are synthetic oils, use them like you do oils. For Organix Morrocan Oil, I like that best mixed with my DT...the sheen is amazing.

You can also use it to seal moisture into damp hair, over your leave-in.
                        Wen...nothing else!

Comment

Arghhh the curly girl method was a mess! My hair does not like it at all!

I recently purchased Organix coconut oil serum and MY HAIR LOVES IT! A little does lots for my twist outs. The smell is remarkable and my hair feels silky. I apply a little daily and notice that I have less shrinkage.

I like to seal just washed hair w/jamaican black castor oil and use the lighter oils for daily use on dry hair (as needed to add sheen). The silicones are an asset to my hair.
                          Last edited by Umph; 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM.
                          Last perm November 2009 - Post Creamy Crack 7/29/10

Comment

Honny Brown you are the expert in silicone. When I saw the name of this thread I knew you would be on it!! Thank goodness!!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

Where do you get these from lol i can never find them
                              Take a look at my blog! http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...rk-lovely.html

Dont hesitate to comment!

Comment

Working...
                              X