X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skincare; Less is more?

Has anyone just STOPPED using products on their face and noticed an improvement...?

I've been dealing with acne and blemishes for some time now and recently after watching a video on YouTube about the "caveman" regimen. I decided to try a modified version. The girl in the video basically quit washing altogether for like 2 months. Ummmm... Lol. I didn't want to go THERE, but I did feel like I needed to simplify and try something new.

Well, its been a few days now and pimples are drying out, no new ones on the rise (as far as I can tell); not even after wearing foundation 2 days n a row!

Could this be it??? I'm just washing my face morning/night with my Soapnut bar, rinsing with cool water & patting dry. No toner. No medicated cream. No moisturizer (aside from Camelia oil around eyes).

I assumed my face would be too dry, not clean enough, out of control etc. But its actually balancing itself out and looks & feels better than it has in a long time. And It's so easy!

It was a hard concept at first since I was always trained that face washing was a 3-4 step process. But, I plan to keep up with this for as long as it works for me.

Any others??

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using CurlyNikki App

I've never had a huge face washing process but have always managed to have clear skin. I wash with water, sometimes soap, dry it, then put on lotion. When I do toners and cleansers and all that jazz, my skin breaks out.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlyNikki App
    Twitter- @LoveZaporiah
    Tumblr- http://lovezaporiah.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LoveZaporiah View Post
      I've never had a huge face washing process but have always managed to have clear skin. I wash with water, sometimes soap, dry it, then put on lotion. When I do toners and cleansers and all that jazz, my skin breaks out.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlyNikki App
      Gotcha. Most of the people I know with the clearest skin hardly have a regimen at all... My man is one of them

Comment

I plan to rotate between plain water and soap as necessary!

Comment

Originally posted by c.marie.dana View Post
          I plan to rotate between plain water and soap as necessary!

Okay, so today I washed with water only and noticed that skin felt a bit oily throughout the day. Could be that I'm using cool-warm water now instead of hottest-hot... But I'll skip the plain water washings for a bit and stick to the Soapnut bar. Still can't believe dryness hasn't been an issue!!

Comment

I use black soap and Shea butter to moisturize skin is very clear. My stepmother only uses water and she looks extremely young. I think we are programmed by media and society to use so many products when simplicity is clearly the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by angolancoils View Post
              I use black soap and Shea butter to moisturize skin is very clear. My stepmother only uses water and she looks extremely young. I think we are programmed by media and society to use so many products when simplicity is clearly the way to go.
              Definitely. It's actually really sad. Especially since I've tried just about every product out there for acne, spent hundreds of dollars looking for a miracle regimen, just to find out that my skin just wanted to take care of itself.

Comment

My skin is pretty smooth, though I do get some acne on my forehead and near my glasses. It's not that bad at all or noticeable. All my friends told me I just had to have some intense skin care regime, or else I would develop bad skin. So I tried to do all the intense washing and ish that just failed. My skin broke out a little more than usual and started needing the heavy cleansers. My skin didn't get bad or anything...but it didn't get any better! The more I messed with my face, the more irritated it got. Now I only use cleansers when I wear face powder (don't wear foundation). Otherwise, just water. My face is fine with this.

It seems like the intense treatment and research I give my hair, they gave their skin, body/health/weight, and make up.

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App
                Learning to love my 3c/4a hair for what it is each and every day. I'm in a 2 year waist length challenge, currently collarbone length. Never relaxed, but used excessive heat in the past.

Comment

I don't wash my face like that. When I remember (that sound nasty lol). My face recently only broke out b/c I started drinking pop every day&energy drinks to stay up at work.
                  Take a look at my blog! http://www.curlynikkiforums.com/curl...rk-lovely.html

Dont hesitate to comment!

Comment

I wear makeup everyday, usually just foundation and mascara, but I have to keep a good skin regimen. My family suffers from bad acne and I wish I can get to the point of not using 5 products. I do think that sometimes, adding the products tend to do more harm than good.
                    I LOVE MY BALTIMORE RAVENS!

Product Junkie, and I'm always looking for the next best thing

Comment

Simplicity is key BUT if you have oily skin, skipping out on a moisturizer will cause your skin to produce more oil because it is aware that you're dry so it tries to compensate. Also be sure that you're not getting toner and astringents confused with each other. An astringent has alcohol in it and for people with sensitive skin, this could be problematic. A toner is more gentle. I actually like witch hazel.

Comment

Originally posted by IndieCoils View Post
                        The more I messed with my face, the more irritated it got.

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlyNikki App
                        ^^This.

Comment

Originally posted by Khayes44 View Post
                          I don't wash my face like that. When I remember (that sound nasty lol). My face recently only broke out b/c I started drinking pop every day&energy drinks to stay up at work.
                          It doesn't sound nasty, lol. Makes more sense to me now than it would have a few weeks ago... Soda and processed juices ALWAYS break me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiana223 View Post
                            I wear makeup everyday, usually just foundation and mascara, but I have to keep a good skin regimen. My family suffers from bad acne and I wish I can get to the point of not using 5 products. I do think that sometimes, adding the products tend to do more harm than good.
                            I know exactly where you're coming from. Except... Everyone in my family has perfect skin! And I USED to. My acne issues started around 17... I've tried clearasil, neutrogena, proactive, Murad blah blah blah. And my skin seemed dependent/addicted... I hope you're able to simplify eventually

Comment

Originally posted by bkd2j View Post
                              Simplicity is key BUT if you have oily skin, skipping out on a moisturizer will cause your skin to produce more oil because it is aware that you're dry so it tries to compensate. Also be sure that you're not getting toner and astringents confused with each other. An astringent has alcohol in it and for people with sensitive skin, this could be problematic. A toner is more gentle. I actually like witch hazel.
                              I thought witch hazel was classified as an astringent...?

I've always been on the oily side & washing with my Soapnut bar & skipping the other two steps of toning & moisturizing have actually been balancing my skin. It has been neither dry NOR oily.

Everything doesn't work for everybody. But I'm glad this is working for me

Last edited by c.marie.dana; 08-13-2012, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X