Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Breastfeeding Support Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Breastfeeding Support

    Ok ladies! Everyone who has even tried to breastfeed knows how difficult it can be. Others who have stuck with it know how JOYOUS (and addicting) it can be!

    But nursing moms need lots of support. I didn't have a lot of support my first go around. I heard everything from: "your baby NEEDS formula to be healthy", "she won't gain weight", "she will never sleep", "your body needs a break" and SO much more.

    They were so wrong. My DD was small when we came home (5 lb 11 oz) but she gained weight like a champ. Yes- I nursed her almost non-stop for the first month and I was exhausted. But she caught up with her weight percentile by the time she was 3 months old. She began to sleep regularly after a while too. And because we persevered we nursed for a year even though I had to return to work and pump. As much as I HATED pumping just thinking about going home and having that nursing time with her kept me going.

    In the beginning it hurts and is exhausting. Truth is, that's just what it is. But after the first month it keeps getting better and better.

    So lets help each other stick with it! I'm due with my second in just over a week. I'd love to give and receive support to keep me focused, especially during the hard times!

    So please share your experiences, ask questions and lend some support here!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kikibrown View Post
    Ok ladies! Everyone who has even tried to breastfeed knows how difficult it can be. Others who have stuck with it know how JOYOUS (and addicting) it can be!

    But nursing moms need lots of support. I didn't have a lot of support my first go around. I heard everything from: "your baby NEEDS formula to be healthy", "she won't gain weight", "she will never sleep", "your body needs a break" and SO much more.

    They were so wrong. My DD was small when we came home (5 lb 11 oz) but she gained weight like a champ. Yes- I nursed her almost non-stop for the first month and I was exhausted. But she caught up with her weight percentile by the time she was 3 months old. She began to sleep regularly after a while too. And because we persevered we nursed for a year even though I had to return to work and pump. As much as I HATED pumping just thinking about going home and having that nursing time with her kept me going.

    In the beginning it hurts and is exhausting. Truth is, that's just what it is. But after the first month it keeps getting better and better.

    So lets help each other stick with it! I'm due with my second in just over a week. I'd love to give and receive support to keep me focused, especially during the hard times!

    So please share your experiences, ask questions and lend some support here!
    Aww that was so sweet! I was breast fed and my mom and I have the closest bond ever.


    💋 Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki 💋
    <a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
    <img border="0" src="http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10723;0/st/20120330/e//k/2ed3/event.png"></a>

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kinky.kurl.kutie92 View Post
      Aww that was so sweet! I was breast fed and my mom and I have the closest bond ever.


      💋 Sent from my iPhone using CurlyNikki 💋
      That makes me feel good! I hope this bond my daughter and I have lasts and lasts

      Comment


      • #4
        You made me excited to breast feed when I have children (that was the plan anyway) cuz I was scared.

        Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlyNikki App
        September 20, 2011 = Last Relaxer



        Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/usnaturalgirls
        BIG CHOP VIDEO>>> http://youtu.be/5l6Fa3sDm-o

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tranita View Post
          You made me excited to breast feed when I have children (that was the plan anyway) cuz I was scared.

          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlyNikki App
          You can do it!!! It's so hard at first but becomes such a joy. And it's something only you can so for your child. No one else. As I wait for this baby to come I keep reflecting back on nursing my older daughter. How funny she was when she became an "acrobatic" nurser. Lol! She would throw one leg up over my shoulder when nursing (she was about 8 months or so) and I'd bite her toes and she would unlatch and giggle. Then realize she wasn't nursing anymore and get this really serious look on her face and latch back on like "where'd my milk go?!". LOVE

          Comment


          • #6
            Just what I need. Looking forward to all those beautiful benefits. I'm BF. today is day 3. Yesterday she cluster fed alllll day. My nipples are some kind of sore. Any recommendations? They came me lanolin cream and said I could also just put some of the colostrum on them. How are those cooling gel things? Worth the purchase?

            Kiki... You rock, lady. Sad I'm skipping' town. We could've had play dates and BF support groups.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm here! :-) I almost gave him Similac again lastnight but I gave him boob. He tore another spot on my nipple yesterday and I was bleeding into his mouth!!!! :-( I'm pumping that breast and feeding on the other. I hope I can keep up with his appetite.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KreyolKatt View Post
                Just what I need. Looking forward to all those beautiful benefits. I'm BF. today is day 3. Yesterday she cluster fed alllll day. My nipples are some kind of sore. Any recommendations? They came me lanolin cream and said I could also just put some of the colostrum on them. How are those cooling gel things? Worth the purchase?

                Kiki... You rock, lady. Sad I'm skipping' town. We could've had play dates and BF support groups.
                I wish I could try the cooling gel things too. I sent my husband for some and he came back empty handed and said use I've! Sigh! If he only knew the pain

                Comment


                • #9
                  @ kikibrown, Great idea!!! This is going to be a life saver for so many of us. Even women who've successfully breastfed before need support.

                  @ kinkykat, have you tried using a nipple shield? They are sold at target. It a plastic nipple cover that helps the baby get a better latch.
                  sigpicLast relaxer 8/21/09
                  BC 11/15/09
                  NhappyJackie.Onsugar<<<< My Blog
                  My FOTKI Youtube

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KreyolKatt View Post
                    Just what I need. Looking forward to all those beautiful benefits. I'm BF. today is day 3. Yesterday she cluster fed alllll day. My nipples are some kind of sore. Any recommendations? They came me lanolin cream and said I could also just put some of the colostrum on them. How are those cooling gel things? Worth the purchase?

                    Kiki... You rock, lady. Sad I'm skipping' town. We could've had play dates and BF support groups.
                    I know . All of my friends are done baby making. I could so use a mom friend

                    K is probably going to cluster feed a few more times. If I recall she was just over the 6# mark? Sophia did on and off until she hit 7ish lbs. Her last growth spurt she nursed for 45 minutes, then slept for an hour, then nursed for 45 minutes for 38 hours. I was a zombie. Hubby took me to Target and told me to walk around while he drove her around the lot. O don't remember much but when I came out she was screaming for milk again! Lol!

                    Try lansinoh lanolin on your nipples. When I was cracked and bleeding this stuff saved me. I didn't want to touch my nipples because they were so sore and the stuff is so thick. I put a nice dollop in the center of a disposable breast pad and then stuck it to my nipple. As it melted it soothed. I've already stocked up several tubes!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kinkykat View Post
                      I'm here! :-) I almost gave him Similac again lastnight but I gave him boob. He tore another spot on my nipple yesterday and I was bleeding into his mouth!!!! :-( I'm pumping that breast and feeding on the other. I hope I can keep up with his appetite.
                      Are you unlatching him with your pinkie? I was pulling Sophia off when she wasn't latched right without breaking the seal with my pinkie forts and that's what was causing my bleeding. Just a thought.

                      Have you tried the lanolin? It helps soothe the wounds, makes the nipple soft and forms a protective barrier. I used it after every nursing (after I found out how awesome it was) the first few months. Lansinoh brand is the truth. I didn't like the medela brand because it had additives, it was really thin and Sophia didn't lime the taste.

                      Also- check out Earth Mama Angel Baby Boobie Tubes on amazon. Sometimes Target has them as well. They can be frozen for engorgement or heated up later in the game when you need help letting down. I used ice and frozen peas last time but this time I bought these to try.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great idea Kiki!!! New moms, nipple cream is your friend. I used it after every feeding.

                        Also make sure you are eating and drinking enough. This will be vital to keeping your supply up. Drink a lot!!! My Hubby would change my son's diaper and bring him to me to nurse. He would also refill my water bottle. I would drink it while my son was nursing.
                        "God will NEVER put more on you than you can bear"

                        Fotki
                        Youtube Channel

                        Big Chop: August 9, 2009
                        Description of Roxie: mostly 4a, medium density, fine/medium strands, low porosity
                        Staple Products: Cream of Nature Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave in, coconut oil, shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, JBCO and olive oil)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi guys! I'm a long time lurker of the pregnancy thread and I'm so happy that you guys made this separate thread. I just had my second baby boy on the 2nd and I'm really trying to strictly breastfeed him but have very little support at home. My husband and mother keep trying to push formula on him using the excuse of he's not getting enough breast milk. It's only been 12 days and I'm already nearing the end of my rope so I'm really glad that you ladies started this thread because I need the support somewhere! I may not post much, but reading your stories, ideas and suggestions definitely help!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NhappyJackie View Post
                            @ kikibrown, Great idea!!! This is going to be a life saver for so many of us. Even women who've successfully breastfed before need support.

                            @ kinkykat, have you tried using a nipple shield? They are sold at target. It a plastic nipple cover that helps the baby get a better latch.
                            I tried it while still at the hospital and he was still able to suck until
                            I bled. I was told those aren't that effective becaus it makes the baby have to work harder.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Breastfeeding is the most awesome thing you can do for your baby. It is so unique to your child that it changes up to give your baby what it needs. I just had my daughter in Feb and let me tell you, she was a little on the small side (5lbs 12oz). Well at her 2month check up she was 12.6lbs. Stick with it. It does get so much better and you bond sooo much with your baby.

                              Sent from my LGL55C using CurlyNikki App

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X