X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to move

Currently I live in nyc, unemployed since March of last year, full time student. Im looking to locate pretty much anywhere on the East coast. Specifically places where there are jobs and rent is cheap! Any tips on where and how to begin? My goal is to.leave within a year. Living in nyc is no joke, I definitely see why many people want to.leave

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using CurlyNikki App

I live in Baltimore md, it's not the cheapest place to live compared to down south but there are lots of jobs here. Especially related to the medical field because its so many top hospitals in the city. And md has lots of great universities/colleges if you're planning on transferring

Comment

I would look on indeed.com for jobs and forrent.com for apts

Comment

Thank you! Im actually in school to become a medical office assistant. I graduate in june. I had a friend that lived in Owing mills(sp?) And her complex was great. My only problem would be a car, i drive but do not own a vehicle. On my visits to MD i would see a one bus per day. Hardly anyone walking. Transportation would be a major issue for me.

Originally posted by candace319 View Post
        I live in Baltimore md, it's not the cheapest place to live compared to down south but there are lots of jobs here. Especially related to the medical field because its so many top hospitals in the city. And md has lots of great universities/colleges if you're planning on transferring

Comment

Oh ok cool! I work in (and have lived in) owings mills. There are lots of nice apts in that area and there is a subway station there that can take you into downtown. The bus system isn't too hard to figure out because Baltimore is so small lol

Comment

Lol. Im extremely worried about transportation. Are there any other towns thats fairly cheap

Comment

I'm not worried about "hood" areas lol i am from nyc lol

Comment

There's plenty of transportation in owings mills. There are lots of people here who don't have cars and get around fine. Baltimore city is cheaper to live in and you can walk many places depending on where in the city u live. Also areas like Essex and rosedale are cheaper to live in too but the jobs are all in Baltimore city and county (Which is like a 30-35 min drive away)...hope
                This helps!!

Comment

Thank you so much for your input, i have do much research to do

Comment

Upstate?

This is my first post here! I lived in NYC for almost 10 years and relocated to Albany to once and for all attend grad school as a returning adult. You may want to consider moving here- for the most part, the buses are quite efficient, there are hospitals and nursing homes etc. Prior to moving, I was told you needed a vehicle to get around, not the case, although a vehicle would help tremendously especially visiting nearby places like Sarratoga, etc. Forgot to mention that rent is rather affordable depending on where you live. If Albany, or anywhere Upstate peaks your interest, then please feel free to ask any questions. Will try my best to be of assistance.

Full disclosure:I am considering relocating (though not 100% sure as yet). Best of luck to you.

Mitch

Comment

Thank you you so much. What's the price range on apts?

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                      This is my first post here! I lived in NYC for almost 10 years and relocated to Albany to once and for all attend grad school as a returning adult. You may want to consider moving here- for the most part, the buses are quite efficient, there are hospitals and nursing homes etc. Prior to moving, I was told you needed a vehicle to get around, not the case, although a vehicle would help tremendously especially visiting nearby places like Sarratoga, etc. Forgot to mention that rent is rather affordable depending on where you live. If Albany, or anywhere Upstate peaks your interest, then please feel free to ask any questions. Will try my best to be of assistance.

Full disclosure:I am considering relocating (though not 100% sure as yet). Best of luck to you.

Mitch

Comment

Living in the downtown area with all the restaurants and bars can range from a mere $600 (usually a large two room studio) to 700 for one bedroom, although I have seen one bedrooms in the Central Square (downtown) area go for $650. Take a look at some of the prices on craigslist so you could have a better idea. I remembered you mentioned that you would not mind the "not so ideal parts" Rent there can sometimes be comparable to the Downtown area, but sometimes, a tad bit lower.

Another area you should explore is the state's job website so you could see the jobs and salaries (All NYS though, hence you most likely would have to exams). Since this is my second post, I am not sure if I am allowed to post links, but will try to include the state link here.

Honestly, Albany is not the most exciting place, however, if your goal is to save and build a future, once you are able to get a decent paying job, you can live quite comfortably here.

https://statejobsny.com/public/vacancyTable.cfm
                        Last edited by Mitch; 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM. Reason: Omitted to post job link

Comment

Albany sounds seriously cheap, even cheaper than Houston!! Wow! Apartments here easily starts at 1200 for a 1 bed between 550-650 sqft. Houston has gone up probably 10% on apartments in the last 4 years. And if you want something downtown then you will pay well over 1800 for a 1 bed. But I want to get out of the south and had plans to move to NYC! I graduate in May, so I'm very excited!
                          The way to the top is Perserverance! 😌

Comment

It definitely is affordable Kesha - just keep in mind it's far from the city that never sleeps, NYC. Honestly, if I had to advice a younger sister or someone wanting a new start, then Albany area is not bad at all. As I pointed earlier, a look at their State's website with the jobs available can give you a good indication of how well you can accumulate wealth. Can I ask, what are you majoring in?

Comment

Hi Mitch I'm a management major with a minor in HR and certified in entrepreneurship. I'll prob get a masters in finance or technology and haven't decided on a phd or not yet. I may have to Chk Albany out. I could possibly start there and after a yr move to NYC.
                              The way to the top is Perserverance! 😌

Comment

Working...
                              X