Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Emergency Fund Challenge

Ladies,

the rule of an emergency fund is to have at least 6-8 months worth of living expenses stored in an account for emergencies and emergencies only...(that amount may not be realistic--for now, but when you shoot for the stars, it is still ok if you get moon dust because you are still in the right place, going in the right direction.

The holidays will be over and a new year will be in full force. Here is my financial challenge to myself: Increase my emergency fund by $3000 or if you want to join in and haven't started an emergency fund, then your challenge would be to start a fund and get to the 3k mark, or as close as you can before year's end.

The rules:
    1. be realistic and be committed!
    2. open an account (checking, savings, or money market) or use an existing emergency fund account;it can only be designated for this intended use. It cannot be used for any other purpose, so no dipping in the pot!
    3. pay yourself first!
    4. Quarterly check ins (every 90 days) w/ the initial (not counted) check-in to start the challenge. The challenge starts 1 Jan and ends 31 Dec 2013, so there will be a total of 5 check ins, with the first one (due to the holiday) being slightly before, on, but no later than 3 days after the new year to initiate the challenge. You are not disclosing your balance but, you are disclosing your savings amount or an estimated amount, if that makes you more comfortable. This will require budgeting, evaluating needs over wants, etc., but we can do this. This is about our financial health and future.
    For predictability's sake, the checks-in will look something like this:
    #1:28 Dec 12 -3 Jan 13 start of challenge and shout outs of our start
    #2: 31 Mar--1st savings shout out
    #3: 30 Jun --2nd shout out
    #4: 30 Sep --3rd shout out
    #5: 31 Dec (or go with 28 Dec -3 Jan) final shout out and end of challenge

The 5 P's are in effect on this one: Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

So, here is to our financial health, new blessings, and a new year! Let's save "sum" $$$$
    Last edited by Symfony; 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM.
    "The will of God will never take you, where the grace of God will not protect you"

"No gem is ever polished without friction"

This is a challenge that I will gladly join. I need to make sure to stick to it. LOL. Please hold me accountable Symfony .

Comment

I'm joining!!!!!

Comment

Count me in!!!
        Sparkle

Big Chop: Not happening
        Long Term Transitioner here!!!

Last Relaxer: June 2012

Comment

I'm in!

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using CurlyNikki App

Comment

I'm in too!

Comment

I'd like to join!
              www.naturallydivona.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm in !!!!! LUUUUVVVV IITTT ! 😊

Comment

We got this

Originally posted by a1sgrl View Post
                  This is a challenge that I will gladly join. I need to make sure to stick to it. LOL. Please hold me accountable Symfony .
                  I will and I need some help as well. I gotta get over getting the latest hand bags and shoes. well.... that will be a challenge in and of itself.
                  "The will of God will never take you, where the grace of God will not protect you"

Comment

Roughly 5 weeks...

we have roughly 5 weeks to get our minds and wallets in order..... and then it is onward to our financial showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Symfony View Post
                      we have roughly 5 weeks to get our minds and wallets in order..... and then it is onward to our financial showdown.
                      I agree.. I am in also. Lawd, help me stick to my guns.
                      I have the most fun being "naturally" me in every way.

http://singleladycookz.blogspot.com/

Comment

See it

Originally posted by Naturalbeauty81 View Post
                        I agree.. I am in also. Lawd, help me stick to my guns.
                        You got this. It may not be easy at first, but was transitioning? You got that wrapped up, so see this as true.

Comment

Count me in as well
                          Stalk me here

Media Content Blog
                          :
                          http://assortedflavors.ilovetastemakers.com

Natural Hair Blog: http://obsessednapturally.wordpress.com/

Personal Blog:
                          http://eriebaybee7.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm in as well!!! Damn, I'm do terrible with money 😞

Comment

Originally posted by NewlyNaturalInFL View Post
                              I'm in as well!!! Damn, I'm do terrible with money 😞
                              it is never to late to learn to be thrifty. Budgeting is the key--finding out where you spend your money for 30 days and then cut the fat (things that you don't need--but that you want). We will support you that is part of the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X